Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Importance of Handwriting

My handwriting is a mess and difficult to read, as Denver often reminds me when I scribble a note on his paper. "Mom," he levels at me, looking stern, "I can't read your handwriting. You need to write neater!" I don't know if handwriting would have even come across my radar with homeschooling if I hadn't been at a homeschooling mom's group where it was brought up. There, all concurred that handwriting was important, despite some reports saying that it is obsolete now that we have computers.

My minimum requirement for handwriting for my kids is that I can read it. I never have them practice cursive, and they generally print. I feel guilty about this. Should I be making them practice their handwriting? Just how important is it? When I look at what they study every day, I can point to the value of nearly everything, but handwriting is just not one of them that I want to torture myself with requiring. I'm sure my attitude is part of the equation here, but I know that they would balk.

Hmm. I had a thought. Maybe if I add a little bit of handwriting to their drawing lesson every day.....? Think I could sneak it in??

No comments:

Post a Comment