Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Weird Day

We had the opportunity to travel out of town for a couple days with my husband as he attends meetings, and we were all set to do so until I looked at the calendar. When I realized just how many activities my son had for those 2 days, I opted to stay home instead. Wrestling practice, play practice, Cub Scouts and volunteering were all on the docket. My daughter, for a change, didn't have a full schedule and would only miss rock climbing so I suggested she go along with Douglas and hang out with relatives during the day while he was at meetings. I was surprised when she said she wanted to do that, so we got it arranged.

This was the first day of the entire school year I think that Denver was here and working but Aurora was not. It was strange. Denver talked to me (gosh darn interruptions!) a lot more and wandered about making his usual noises and flying various contraptions he'd built, which he does anyways, but he did it more than usual today. I think that the little edge of competition between the kids keeps both of them more focused, just as it did with a classroom of kids at school.

The sweet part for me was the lack of squabbling about who gets to use the computer and who looked at who how, and who touched whom. I thought I might have more time to focus on work with just one kid around but Denver made up for it. Apparently the interaction between them is a significant part of their social life and I picked up the slack until I shot Denver a look that said, "No more!" We could get used to this, but I'll be glad to have Aurora back in a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment