Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Daily Paragraph Editing

I found a very cool book in an education store in Soldotna a few weeks ago: Daily Paragraph Editing. I got the grades 6+ one. Yesterday was the first day I had Aurora and Denver do it. I told them to just do one, but both of them did 2 days' entries since there are 2 to a page. Anyways, it helps me see what they need practice on grammar-wise and punctuation-wise. It was interesting because they don't have the comma placement down. That is one of the things I spend much time on in my college writing classes. In fact, as a kid, about the only thing I remember being told about commas was, "Put one where you would pause for breath." This can be a tough thing to teach, so I am hopeful this book will help open up teachable moments. It also gives the kids practice with proofreading, a valuable skill that many of my college students discover they are lacking in (who wants to go over what they wrote and pick it apart?).

No comments:

Post a Comment