Thursday, December 17, 2009

More Planning For a New Semester

Today the kids met with the kids' supervising teacher for the first time.  It was only the third time I'd met with her ever, and the first time since our meeting last May to sign up and plan the ILP's.  In going over the kids' ILP's the other day, I had many questions about materials, items covered, etc.  It was a very productive meeting and reassured me that I wasn't completely on my own with all this. 

Throughout the fall my emails were not answered for days and the whole homeschooling system seemed sluggish.  Connections enrollment was up like 26%, and the student load that each supervising teacher with Connections had was increased as well, overloading the 3 supervising teachers to an crazy level, particularly since there were so many new families in the system, a time-intensive process.  I'd become very frustrated since my initial impression last spring was of very quick turn-around on my questions and responsiveness. 

Responsiveness and openness was the atmosphere of today's meeting.  I went into it with uncertainity about what we should do and how we should do it, and came out of it with renewed energy, ideas, books and resources.  I don't know if I would have taken the homeschooling plunge if I didn't have this structure and guidance.  I would have had to be much more enterprising, searching for my own answers on the web and experiencing much more trial and error.  Have an "expert" teacher--someone who works with a variety of students daily, and who has also been in the classroom--is a valuable resource.  It is their job to help, and their goal is ultimately the same as a classroom teacher's:  high scores on standards-based tests.  However, as with any classroom teacher, they have their own personal goals and passions which is why they are in this job in the first place.

We will finish up today before a 2 week break, but I will look forward to the spring semester more having had a good, focused session.  And the kids, always focused, have a better idea of the direction as well since they've been part of the process this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment