Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A New Semester Begins....

Yesterday was our first day back after 2 weeks off for Christmas break (and my break from blogging about it!). I was curious how the kids would do: would they get up and get to work? would they complain? would their attitudes be bad? I need not have worried. At 9:00 on the button they were in the cabin working away, same as always. One could never have told that they'd taken two weeks off. They knew their routine and there was no whining, cajoling or bad attitudes. In fact, they seemed happy to be back.

The first day back in school (the brick and mortar type) was always exciting but also stressful for me. I would hear what other kids got for Christmas and vacations they went on. I felt like the underdog. I think homeschooled kids spend a lot less time thinking about and comparing themselves to others, and as a result I think they are more at peace. I suspect for many people there is a nostalgia in school traditions that they are loath to give up; they can't imagine their kids not going through the same things they did, good or bad. But I have to admit, I am happily surprised at how comfortable my kids are with the homeschooling setup, and I am one lucky mom that they are so self-motivated!

No comments:

Post a Comment