Thursday, January 14, 2010

Homeschooling from a Hotel Room

One of the reasons I appreciate homeschooling is the flexibility. Combined with my job of teaching online classes, we can pick up and go any time. So far this year whenever we've traveled I haven't made the kids do their schoolwork. It has been a day here, a day there, and generally they work so hard the rest of the time and are further ahead than their in-classroom counterparts, that I don't worry too much about it.

For this trip to Soldotna and then Anchorage as we tag along with Doug on a couple of conferences I wanted the kids to work. Yesterday was like pulling teeth getting Denver to read 2 short books on India which he would have skimmed through like nothing at home. And as he said to me, "Truth be known, mom, I was hoping you would forget my math." Now, on day 2, the kids are eagerly reading their "for fun" books, but are avoiding their schoolwork.

To lighten their load (and because they don't have the computer with their Russian and typing programs) I'm not making them do everything they normally do on their daily checklist, and since we have good internet access, I will give them a couple webquests to do together (more India!), which will be a good activity. We'll get the work done, but I think that my kids work best with the routine of home rather than on the road. Of course, if we were on the road all the time they would get a routine down there!

No comments:

Post a Comment