Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Bad Habits I Blame on Homeschooling

Really, only one bad habit really jumps out at me that the kids have developed since we've homeschooled them: going to bed late. It could have been that before they were homeschooled they had their bedtime and then they would read for an hour or so in bed before they turned off their light, but we didn't necessarily know that, so we figured they were going to bed at 9:00. Now, though, despite our trying to be more vigilant about it, the whole family ends up going to bed at the same time...or at least going to our bedrooms since the kids still read before they sleep. I recall asking one homeschooled kid, "What is your bedtime?" When he loudly replied, "I don't have one!" I was a little bit shocked. For a 8 or 9 year old kid not to have a bedtime seemed like a breach of some parenting protocol. Yet now, only a year later, I'm afraid I understand all too well, though I would admit I would be embarrassed if my own kids said the same thing. But my kids get plenty of sleep going to bed 10-11ish and getting up at 8, so as much as the parenting protocol of the world might say they should have a certain bedtime, my kids' lives bear out that it is not a trauma not to be asleep by a certain time. However, what I will say, though, is that regularity is a good thing when it comes to sleep, and they have that simply because we as parents have that.

The other bad habit that comes to mind relates to Denver's headstrong ways: "I'm going to do this by myself and I don't need any help." But as we talked about last week, he was that way before we ever homeschooled so that is not necessarily a new thing, it's just that I notice it now since I butt up against it regularly!

I wish Aurora would brush her hair first thing in the morning instead of just before we go out for the day, but in that way she's like me. It's just that people usually can't tell when I've brushed my hair since I have a curly headful--it always looks nice or messy (depending on your perspective), whereas Aurora's always looks better brushed.

Besides that, the other "bad habits" my kids have picked up aren't any worse than some of the bad habits they might be picking up at a brick and mortar school, such as social meanness, educational loafing, school-as-a-social-playground, etc. So I think we're coming out even or ahead in the bad habits area!

No comments:

Post a Comment