Friday, April 2, 2010

An Even Weirder Day

My kids headed up to Kenai with my husband early this morning to hang out with relatives for a day before having some fun skiing at Alyeska tomorrow. This left me a day without kids!

Whoa! When was the last time this happened?? Never this year! The silence was delightful; I got a lot done and could really focus on my tasks. This was what life was like before homeschooling. Now I cannot imagine having this kind of time to myself every day. Today was great, and tomorrow will be nice, but then I will be ready to have my kids back. Just as kids need a break from school and adults need vacations from jobs, I think parents need breaks from kids, especially the parent who does the bulk of the work when homeschooling. It can be hard, in a way, to take that. The level of commitment to the kids is high, and one doesn't always "feel" like they need a break. I didn't when I decided yesterday to stay home and let the rest of the family go play. But when a friend at church today mentioned that I looked very peaceful and relaxed, I realized that I needed it. Now I just have to coach myself not to feel guilty about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment