Saturday, April 3, 2010

Free Time Activities

Since schoolwork only takes half a day, I find it interesting to see what activities my kids do to fill up their free time.

Denver has some some passions: LEGOS are a never-ending source of joy, and hardly a day goes by that Denver doesn't come dashing down the stairs asking, "How do you like my hovercraft?" or some other creation. Long conversations could ensure if I care to engage him, with detailed explanations of what the object can do, how fast, how high, how strong, etc. Each item has stories that go along with it, but I don't usually have the patience to get that far.

Playing with his neighbor friend, also a homeschooled 10-year-old is another one of Denver's favorites. Getting pictures of the cat, putting them on the computer, moving pictures around and manipulating them on the computer are all high fun.

Aurora's passion is schoolwork. If she doesn't have a book to read or puzzles or brain teasers to work on, she will do math or continue writing her book. She is very focused and I often wish she would play more. I don't push or even guide the kids much in their free time; it's theirs. Learning is what Aurora loves to do and I don't feel right taking that away from her.

Reading is the standard standby, and I would estimate both my kids read for fun at least 2 hours a day and sometimes more. Both kids like to bike, climb trees, build forts and otherwise wander around the yard daydreaming or thinking. Both kids also love computer games. Neopets, Plant Tycoon and online math games are their favorites, and in this area I see the greatest cooperation between my kids. They share passwords and take turns and both agree on things to buy, sell, trade, etc. on their games. We limit their computer time to 30 minutes a day so that it doesn't become obsessional and take over their lives (like I see it take over so many people's lives).

Besides those things, the kids have their sports and we have our family and church activities. When I look at how many of my kids' free time activities are enriching their minds or bodies, I have to admit I am pleased. Partly I want homeschooling to be a time to allow the kids their passions and interests. Our days are relaxing and our evenings are a whirlwind of activities, so a balance is struck. If the kids were in school all day they would be too fried to want to go, go, go all evening with their fun extracurriculars. Right now I think we have a good balance!

No comments:

Post a Comment