Monday, April 19, 2010

Grade Levels

Last year at this time we were exploring the possibility of homeschooling. I remember asking one mom who has homeschooled all of her children what grade her daughter was in. She hemmed and hawed and the pause went on so long I started getting nervous. How could I possibly trust an education where the mother doesn't even know what grade her kid is in?

A year later, I understand. Now when people ask what grade my kids are in I hesitate, think about it, and then often give the standard reply. Sometimes, though, people are actually interested in knowing what grade levels my kids are working at, so I can go subject by subject. The thing is, not all materials my kids use are by "grade level." For example, both the kids are working on a book called "Jamestown" for reading. It is the intermediate level. So what is intermediate? It is probably 7th-8th grade. My 4th grade son and 6th grade daughter are using a 7/8th grade book. In history we're studying ancient civilizations. I'm not sure what "grade level" ancient civilizations are taught, but I suspect it's not elementary school.

I doubt you're interested in what grade levels my kids are at in all their subjects, but the thing is, if they go back to a 'school,' they are going to be way ahead of their classmates in a lot of subjects. I'm sure there are gaps in their education that aren't being filled through homeschooling, but then there are gaps in education even in the classroom. So in homeschooling I end up with kids who simply are at the level they are at, and unless someone asks, I generally don't think about it too much except to find appropriate materials for them. A year ago, I was ready to write off homeschooling because of the response I got from one parent on this question. Now I'm right there too.

1 comment: